Maybe it’s me…but cool weather brings about a longing for comfort food. I love warm pasta dishes and chicken dinners, but the trick is to find comfort meals that are also good for the waste line!
Get out a slow cooker, check your pantry, and print this recipe!
(I yielded 10 cups total and divided into 8 equal portions).
You will need:
20 oz Kidney Beans
5 oz Tomato Paste
1 Jar Pasta Sauce (@250ml)
1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Medium Can Crushed Tomatoes
1/8-1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
1-2 Pounds Lean Ground Chicken or Turkey
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder
3 Garlic Cloves
1/8 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
Onion and Garlic Powder (to taste)
1) Heat a fry pan over low-medium heat with 1 Tb Olive Oil and add chopped garlic and onion.
2) Add ground meat and cook until done.
3) Rinse and drain the kidney beans and add to slow cooker with tomato paste, pasta sauce, and chopped and diced tomatoes.
4) Dice the bell peppers and add to slow cooker as well. Stir everything together and add your spices.
5) When meat is ready, transfer to your cooker and apply cover. Let sit at least 4 hours, stirring after 2.
6) Add spices to your liking, serve and enjoy 🙂
*This pairs well with a side of quinoa, brown rice, or even atop noodles of choice.